Leo’s Mane Sew Along

Monday 15 April 2013

Design Wall Monday, April 15, 2013

The same thing is up on my wall as last week, the quilt Playful friends, but I think there are a few more blocks of it. The last 2 are partially completed, and then
 I can move on to deciding on the cornerstones. I think I'll use the same fabric as the backgrounds for the sashes, so that the blocks will end up looking like they are floating. I'm debating on what to use for the cornerstones, whether I should stick with the same dark blue as the corners of the blocks, or bring the green from inside the block out for the cornerstones. Any opinions?? I guess I should have taken a picture with both options.
I did some actual quilting today, and my machine is working beautifully! I am so happy! I've had this Disappearing Nine Patch hanging around for years, so I thought it would be a good one to start with. It took me a couple of days after loading it to decide what to do with it. I didn't want to do a pantograph, and I've done a lot of continuous curves lately, so I didn't want to do that either. I decided that I'd like to do some diagonal lines, but didn't really want to do ruler work. There's been a lot of talk at the guild lately about "organic quilting", which I interpret to mean, just aim and go. So that's what I did...... loosely waving lines across the diagonals of the different pieces. I like it. It's simple, and lets all the fun fabrics take   center stage. It is now all finished, and just needs to get taken off the machine and trimmed, and I can decide on binding and load another. I'll take a pic once I get it all bound. I think this one is destined for the children's aid donations that the guild does. It will be nice to have a quilt that is specifically for an older child.
I'm linking up to Judy's Patchwork Times and then I'm going to wait for a Skype visit with Avery planned for this evening, and maybe fill the waiting with visiting some other walls.      

2 comments:

  1. Your Playful Friends is looking really good! I think I'd be tempted to use the green for the cornerstones - just to perk them up a bit...
    I like the way you've assembled your D9P - and that quilting works so well on it. I made a variation of the D9P a few months ago, and I quilted it on my sewing machine with what looked like a giant zigzag, back and forth across the block, then moved to the corner of the next block and did the same idea, except that I went up and down; the next went sideways again. I liked the look of that pattern on the D9P - the pattern and fabrics were kind of modern, and the quilting felt that way too!
    Hope you and Avery had a good "chat"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you have going on your design wall!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all your comments, and am grateful for each one. I try very hard to answer them all, but lately I haven’t quite been able to answer all of them.